Rafael Nadal will decide in the coming days whether to play in next week’s Fever-Tree Championships at Queen’s Club .
After winning his 11th French Open title here the world No1 said on Sunday night that he would have to consult his entourage before confirming his presence at his only planned warm-up tournament before Wimbledon, which starts in three weeks’ time.
“I’ve had a long and mentally tough clay court season because I played almost all the matches possible,” Nadal said, his 6-4, 6-3, 6-2 victory over Austria’s Dominic Thiem having come at the end of a clay campaign which also saw him win the titles in Monte Carlo, Barcelona and Rome.
“I must go back and speak with my team and decide what is better for my body. I would love to be playing in as many places as possible but I need to check how I feel in the next couple of days. It’s a drastic change from clay to grass. I did it quicker in the past when I was much younger, because I played back to back.”
Judged by the past two years, there must be a good chance that Nadal will miss Queen’s. He was due to play there in both 2016 and 2017 but withdrew because of a wrist problem two years ago and on medical advice last year as a result of his exertions during the clay-court season.
Nadal played 25 matches during last year’s clay-court campaign and has played 27 this year, having added a Davis Cup tie to his clay schedule. Although the Spaniard won the title at Queen’s en route to his first Wimbledon triumph in 2008, he has played there only three times since.