The Super Eagles has plenty of work to do in a bid to qualify to the knockout stages of the 2018 World Cup in Russia as they face Argentina on Tuesday.
Talkingpoint360.com’s Augustine Akhilomen revealed some key areas the team must watch out for against Argentina.
1. Operation tame Messi: Barcelona star, Lionel Messi remains Albiceleste’s key player who could turn around a game within a twinkle of an eye. Although his early penalty miss against Iceland in their opening game have seen him heavily criticised, the diminutive player is always a threat and should be closely watched due to his skills, pace and trickery whenever he’s with the ball.
2. Avoid Set-Pieces: The Super Eagles must do everything possible to ensure that they don’t concede fouls that may result in set-pieces considering the fact that the Argentina side are always deadly and could punish the Nigeria side that has always look suspicion in that regard.
3. Score Early goal: It will be an added advantage if the Super Eagles score first against Argentina because it will unsettle them and give Nigeria an opportunity to impose their pattern on them.
4. Capitalise on Argentina’s Weak Defence: It’s very glaring that Argentina’s defence appear to be a suspect based on their performance against Iceland and Croatia respectively.
The trio of Otamendi, Rojo and Mascherano have shown some signs of weaknesses due to their poor recovery rate, of which Nigeria can capitalise.
Rohr will be counting on Alex Iwobi, Victor Moses and OdionIghalo to push more in the attack if the team must get the necessary result.
5. Reduce and break Supply of Passes from Argentina Midfield – This is one area the Super Eagles defensive trio of Wilfred Ndidi, Mikel Obi and Oghenekharo must watch so as to cut-short the real supply to their attack.
6. Uzoho Must Concentrate: The goalkeeping department was initially thought as one of Nigeria’s problems going to the World Cup in Russia, however, Francis Uzoho has weathered the storm and must remain focus in order to prevent the likes of Lionel Messi, Gonzalo Higuain and Sergio Aguero from scoring.